3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Distorted Polygons!

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ahmad Bin Naslan
Distorted Polygons!
on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:12:18 pm

Hi,

to make it simple to explain, look at the image I post together with.
It's should be just a simple animation, I just need his beard to change form as if to be like some sort of smiling. It's my homework and needed to be done ASAP. I hope anyone can at least try to explain what's the problem.

Return to posts index

Ahmad Bin Naslan
Re: Distorted Polygons!
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:41:35 pm

the blue guy is supposed to be smiling. meaning his beard should reform as if he is smiling. everytime I move the timecode-slider, this happens, the polygons got distorted. the culprit behind it actually is the turbosmooth, cuz when I switch off the turbosmooth modifier, it doesnt kick out like this. and obviously i cant have an animation without smoothing.

p/s: alright, I have to admit it's wrong to animate without rigging etc etc, but since it should be a simple animation, i didn't rig it.
planned: do the short cut way, save time
result: double trouble, n hours wasted.

Return to posts index

Ahmad Bin Naslan
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:42:03 pm

the blue guy is supposed to be smiling. meaning his beard should reform as if he is smiling. everytime I move the timecode-slider, this happens, the polygons got distorted. the culprit behind it actually is the turbosmooth, cuz when I switch off the turbosmooth modifier, it doesnt kick out like this. and obviously i cant have an animation without smoothing.

alright, I have to admit it's wrong to animate without rigging etc etc, but since it should be a simple animation, i avoid it.
planned: do the short cut way, save time
result: got shit, n hours wasted. damn

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 6, 2011 at 2:34:20 am

You answered your own question, Ahmad. I agree with you that building the rig and using the beard as the skin is the only way you won't distort the polygons. I only say this because I've tried the same thing before, and also wasted many hours.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ahmad Bin Naslan
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:06:47 pm

thanx joe,

well at least I learned from my mistake :)

Return to posts index

Rick Altena
on Dec 11, 2011 at 6:08:12 pm

have you tried a FFD (free form deform) modifier?

it seems as though it might work in this situation and it's allso very fast to apply and try-out.

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]