3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3Ds Max - saving, but not saving the textures for the scene

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Del
3Ds Max - saving, but not saving the textures for the scene
on Nov 8, 2011 at 11:28:40 pm

I am at a school that is teaching 3dS max 9 (ed version). When testing it out, I found that using the Tutorials (still life), that when I save the scene, it does not save the textures along with it. Any ideas what I have to do to fix this? I am saving it into a different directory completely, not the tutorial directory. When the kids do this, they will have their own directory as well to save in. When I save the scene and subsequently open it the next day, all of the textures are gone, and there are errors in trying to locate the textures. Any ideas or suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Del
Re: 3Ds Max - saving, but not saving the textures for the scene
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:26:16 am

When I look at the folder with the file in it (the one I saved), there are no jpg or textures. How can I make sure they are saved in the right location? In Caligari Truespace, there was a way to archive and save all the material in one location, but I couldn't find that with Max.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:53:38 pm

Hi David -

One way to do is to just add the path your textures are in to your preferences. That way they will be found when you start up Max. I'm not in front of Max, and I don't know Max 9 Ed, but there's also the ability to set your default path when Max starts up. If there are multi users on your copy of Max, that might not be a good idea.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Chappell
on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:46:20 pm

Instead of saving why don't you use the Resource Collector in the utilities menu?

It will copy (or move) all necessary texture files to a folder of your choice along with a copy of the Max file - there is a also checkbox to Update Materials - so your new Max file texture paths automatically point to your new clean assets folder where everything lives.

This is also a great thing to get students in the habit of as it is a common industry practice for closing/cleaning a finished project ready for archive & back-up.

---
David Chappell
Freelance Motion Graphics / 3D
http://www.incidentaltrees.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]