3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

How can I create my own mesh to work with?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lj BellHow can I create my own mesh to work with?
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:18:29 am

Hi, I'm a beginner sorry!

How can I make a mesh to use in 3d Max that is in the shape of the attached image?

I want to extrude the coloured parts to different lengths like different sized and shaped rooms and make the black parts glass for a building concept. I tried putting it in as an opacity and a bump map, but it was too grainy.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How can I create my own mesh to work with?
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:22:12 pm

I would suggest taking your image into Photoshop, then creating a greyscale version of that to use as a bump map. After doing this, try it out on a flat plane to see if it achieves the levels you want. You also don't say what size that image you want to use is. If it's a low rez jpeg file or something relatively small, that could be why you're getting the grain problem. There are also settings (if I remember correctly - I'm not in front of Max) to change the resolution of the image map, so that if you really want higher rez, you can get it. I think they're in the Material Editor.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: How can I create my own mesh to work with?
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:23:18 pm

If you want it accurate then the painful task of building it yourself is the only really option. It wont take that long and by the time you play around trying to find a cheat you could of easily done it.

If you want just a representation of the above and a quick cheat then have a look into greebles.

Return to posts index

Lj BellRe: How can I create my own mesh to work with?
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:22:50 am

Thanks guys - yeah, I ended up building it myself by creating rectangles in AutoCAD that were uneven, skewing them with and Edit Poly and Soft Selection in Max, and then insetting the polygons.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How can I create my own mesh to work with?
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:19:05 pm

Nice work - it looks good. Not exact to your illustration, but it shouldn't matter, since it's in the same style and color.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]