3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Mental Ray motion blur

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew KhanMental Ray motion blur
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:38:26 am

Hey everyone, any help would be appreciated!

I'm currently trying out 3Ds Max, working on an animation

Is it possible to render ONLY a motion blur layer and then somehow use it to composite it in 3Ds Max? I ask because the default mental ray motion blur takes a long time to render when doing 1500 frames (get's around half way through with 17 hours rendering...)

I've also read I can do it with the scanline renderer which is apparently faster and then composite that ontop of my mental ray layer, using After Effects.

Any ideas? Help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gaz EvansRe: Mental Ray motion blur
by on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:02:12 am

If rendering time is too high but you have a litle bit of a budget, I would suggest using a render farm as they can turn around in a matter of hours what takes day to render on one machine. The one I use is a uk based one called Render-IT (http://www.render-it.co.uk). Hope that helps!

Gaz Evans

Workflow Technician
The diROOM

Return to posts index

jordan cadbyRe: Mental Ray motion blur
by on Sep 5, 2011 at 11:34:04 am

You can add a render element called velocity pass, this is an image that looks exactly the same as your main pass but has a diffent colouring based on the speed and direction the scene/oject is moving in...

anyways that wont add to your rendering (its done for free when you render your animation), it will however give you an image sequence that you can plug into reel smarts motion blur plugin in after fx that will give you some nice looking MB thats pretty accurate!

therefore you wont even need to render a motion blur in max..

ps use sticking Reel Smart on top of your work is normally good enough anyways! even without a velocity pass!

in the shade

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved