3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Can this be done?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve WaldronCan this be done?
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:45:12 am

Hi, I have been using some stock items similar to the 'Evolution' type flourishes from V.C.P in after effects for some time now.

I wanted to put a new spin on them and was wondering if there is a way to bring them into 3D Max and extrude them, so rather than just having flat black on white .mov expanding graphical assets I could extrude them into 3D and give them some more depth - does that make sense? And if so, can it be done?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Can this be done?
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:45:28 pm

I don't believe that Max has a way to extrude the alpha channel of a moving image. You can bring in a logo, and, using the still alpha, make an extrusion to fit it perfectly.

But unless you take your evolution flourishes and convert the frames to stills (which of course you could do), I don't think that it would work.

There are several ways to make objects in Max grow; as a matter of fact, there's been a plugin for years called Grow, and it would allow you to take, for example, a building, and build it from the foundation up, element by element, for very nice effects. You could most likely do the same thing with some scripting in Max, or look for that plugin, if it's still available. As a matter of fact, it still is:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Steve WaldronRe: Can this be done?
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:08:18 am

Hi Joseph, thanks for the information, I kinda figured it was a longshot but thought it was worth a try. That plugin looks great though, I might well give that a try, could be useful all round.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Can this be done?
by on Jul 24, 2011 at 9:37:54 am

If you want real 3D then go with what Joeseph suggests. With a bit of clever camera work you dont even have to "grow" all the elements and just animate and create the illusion they are growing.

Not sure how it would look but Im also wondering what the possibilities would be to import the VC .movs and use them as material maps. Im sure with a bit of playing around you might get some depth to them. Most obvious place to start would be to import the alpha into the bump channel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved