3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Vacuum packing

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve WaldronVacuum packing
by on May 24, 2011 at 3:53:02 pm

Hi guys, I have had some great advice here in the past so am back to pester you again :)

I am animating a product installation visual and need to show the product in its packaging, which is tightly wrapped, almost vacuum packed plastic wrap.

I'm not terribly experienced in max but am learning slowly! Is there any way to do this without complex modelling?

I figured I could just duplicate and slightly expand the model and then apply a semi-transparent texture on there, but all the finer details carry over and it looks slightly odd. Using the smooth modifier does not seem to help. - If I were in photoshop or after effects I'd call it a stroke I guess..... but no sign of that.

I know it's more than likely going about it in a very newbie fashion so apologies to anyone who feels like beating their head against the desk from just reading that!

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Steve WaldronRe: Vacuum packing
by on May 24, 2011 at 3:55:47 pm

Sorry - double post, just having thought - an alternative to this would be for me to generate a more loosely fitted bag - which I have done in the past, however then I need to move the packaged object up against another to compare - so if I had a loose bag packaging the object but could have that reacting and crumpling when it was pressed against another object, that would work too....

thought the alternative may be easier. thanks.

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Vacuum packing
by on May 26, 2011 at 11:00:00 am

In the past to make similar Ive used a cloth modifier, and then used the original object (or create a quick proxy shape) as a rigid body to drape the cloth over it.

If you have not used the cloth modifier have a look for "table cloth" or "flag" tutorials, its fairly straight forward to use, you will have to tweak the push and stretch settings to get the shrink wrap look but a quick dip into the 3DS max manual will explain these.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved