3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Bend problem - Want to change bending base point ???

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nishanth rajBend problem - Want to change bending base point ???
by on May 10, 2011 at 6:30:18 am

Hey geeks,

my problem is simple yet kinda difficult to explain. I want to bend a box 180 degree. at first time its okay. i bend it. (top side bend to 180 degree and now it look like a half circle. Note : top side is now parallel to bottom). Now i want to bend it again but this time i want box's top side stay intact in place and bottom side should bend 180 degree to the same direction in which first bend moved.(bottom side should rotate from left side of the top side to right side of the top side)

Please help me..

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Bend problem - Want to change bending base point ???
by on May 10, 2011 at 1:34:27 pm

I think I understand what you're saying. You want the box to end up almost like a "S" curve, but where the bottom and top faces of the box are facing 180 degrees away from each other, and parallel?

I believe you could use the "limit effect", or possibly the gizmo to achieve this. If you limit the effect to half the height of the box on one bend effect, then limit the effect to half the height of the box, but on the other half, with the bend at going in the opposite direction, is should work, unless I've completely misunderstood your description.

By sliding the Gizmo after the bend is applied, you might also get the same effect, applying two Bend Modifiers.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Bend problem - Want to change bending base point ???
by on May 10, 2011 at 2:20:23 pm

Personally Im not a fan of the bend modifier, it seems to bend every which way but the way I want.

Hence why I would take a different approach to the solution;

Draw a spline in the shape you want and then set the output of the spline to rectangle. This will give you a lot more intuitive control over the "bend".

Return to posts index

nishanth rajRe: Bend problem - Want to change bending base point ???
by on May 10, 2011 at 3:20:19 pm

Dear Joseph W. Bourke & Ryan John,

thanks for your reply. unfortunately i couldn't explain it perfectly.

please see the below image. i tried to illustrate it.

i want to animate it in that way. not one or two but a lot. :)

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2011 at 11:31:57 am

please see the animation below. i need that type of animation

http://i55.tinypic.com/2e3a5c3.gif

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Bend problem - Want to change bending base point ???
by on May 11, 2011 at 11:00:23 pm

OK - now I get it. Thanks. Just go into you Bend parameters, and animate the Bend Angle from 180 degrees to minus 180 degrees. That should do it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2011 at 3:32:40 am

Sorry Mr. Bourke,

that won't solve the problem. it only reverse the animation. i think i have to change the 'center' of the bend.

if i bend a straight box first time 180 degree, it will become a half circle. but the bottom of the box (when it was straight)will remain in place. thats okay. now i need to bend it again but this time top side (note that now it look like a half circle with top side parallel to bottom side) should remain in its place and bottom side should turn 180 degree around the bottom side. u can see it in that animation. (but i think u got confused because of the short duration of the animation and its replay. i need the box continuously move towards right. first time top side should turn 180 and the next time bottom side. like a box walking without legs :).

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2011 at 4:15:45 am

Mr. Bourke,

http://tinypic.com/r/2zjiyvb/7

Please look at the red and green box on the top of the animation. red is the base box. red's animation is correct. once the animation is complete then the SAME red box should rotate like the green box. (note that i don't need green box. i am just showing how the red box should rotate on the next step).

look at the pink box's animation. that's what i want. (now there is only three steps. i need it go continuously)

Return to posts index

Dennis GainesRe: Bend problem - Want to change bending base point ???
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 11:07:05 pm

Did you ever figure this out, I have exact same situation!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2016 at 10:32:21 am

Hello Dennis,

I figured it out myself. But it was long time ago.

I am trying to recreate it now.

You should apply a bend modifier to the object. In my case it is a simple box with some subdivisions.

Then key frame the bend animation from -180 to 180. Then go to curve editor, select modified object from the left panel, expand it. Under bend , select angle. Go to edit menu -- controller -- out of range types select loop. This will give you the bend animation.

If your bend animation's first loop ends in frame 20, (from -180 degree to 180) then create a movement keyframe at 0 and 20. Do not move the object. Then go to 21st frame and try to move your object precisely to the right until the left side of the arch reaches to the right side of the arch. Now go to the curve editor and follow the same steps. But this time instead of loop, select relative repeat.

It's a stupid way to do this. May be there is a better way. But it does the job.

All the best.

Nishanth

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:00:49 am

Tried it out and not quite working right. If its not too much trouble could you possibly send me the Max file? I'm using Max 9.

Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2016 at 3:37:19 pm

file:

9691_boxanimation.max.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2016 at 9:44:06 pm

I can't open this file. I'm using Max9 is probably the reason. But I think I am almost there, but have this little glitch. I've attached sample file, maybe you could take a look! Thanks! Not sure how to attach. Here is a link: 9706_bendtest2.max.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]