3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

How do I retrieve my original Materiallibraries?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan AzrakHow do I retrieve my original Materiallibraries?
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:42:50 am

Hi, I have been having some troubles installing new materials with 3DS Max 2010. Previously, I have not used materials and now when I try to use materials in my materiallibraries they are incompatible. These materials show (when I check the incompatible box) that they are related to these:
Arch & Design (mi)
ProMaterials: Mirror

I am new with using materials, as previously I have simply used 3DS Max for the modelling aspect, and therefore do not understand why these materials are not working. Is there a way I can retrieve these (Arch & Design, ProMaterials etc.) so I can use these materials?

Any help in fixing this wouold be greatly appreciated.

(ps. As I am new with the use of materials forgive any misused words or phrases in this post).

EDIT 1: I managed to retrieve the original mtl's (the 3DS, architecture etc. However these files still say I cannot open the materials because of Arch & Design (mi), ProMaterials and Physics_Phen. I forgot to mention these materials from mrmaterials.com)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How do I retrieve my original Materiallibraries?
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:30:34 am

While I can't help with the specifics of the problem, I seem to remember from Max 8 or 9 (I now have Max 2011) that there were some dynamic linking libraryies (.dlls) and also some mental ray files which had to be copied to one of the Mental Ray folders in Max. I'll bet that simple copying those to the new version of Max will do the trick. Sorry I can't be more specific. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Nathan AzrakRe: How do I retrieve my original Materiallibraries?
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:20:59 am

I finally worked this out, I updated (all the hotfixes and Service Pack 1), and after 3DS MAX would recognise the Arch & Design plugins I worked out I had to change the Renderer in the Render settings to one of the Mental Ray renderers. Thank you for your help, I also copied over the dll's from 3DS MAX 9 and it helped me retrieve some of the standards that I should have already had.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved