3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Making a Missile Trail in 3ds Max?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deepak AdhikaryMaking a Missile Trail in 3ds Max?
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:42:19 pm

Hey everybody, I have a missile in 3ds max, but I need a tutorial about how to add a smoke trail which behaves in a realistic way. I've found plenty that show you how in MAYA...but unfortunately I only have 3ds max. Anyone know where I can find this tutorial?

Return to posts index

Spencer TweedRe: Making a Missile Trail in 3ds Max?
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:07:51 pm

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but it is worth mentioning anyway. Maya has a great dynamics system built right into it (which is what you probably saw the tutorial for). 3DS Max, however, has no such thing. All it comes with is pFlow, which isn't going to get you there from my experience.

That said there are a few solutions, some of them more complex. Here is what I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Pay the extra bucks for a plug-in like FumeFX or After Burn - it is worth it.

2. Try to make it work with pFlow (there is a tutorial in the Max Help that is actually pretty good). But like I said, I can't seem to get good results with this.

3. Export the file to Blender and use it to calculate the dynamics, it is free and has some good looking tools. Tutorials can be found here: cg.tutsplus.com. Then render out just the smoke and composite it back onto your missile.

That's all I got, hope it is somewhat helpful.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved