3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Workflow between Max and other apps

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard SmithWorkflow between Max and other apps
by on Dec 26, 2010 at 4:58:48 pm

I've read many times that CGI movies were many times done partly in 3ds Max, partly in Maya/other software.
An example: someone says "the buildings and props were done in Max, the animated characters in Maya".
Knowing that Max can't import Maya files, how did they manage to put together and render a scene that has both Max and Maya parts?

I'm interested in the usual, tested workflow in this cases- if possible, step-by-step.

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Workflow between Max and other apps
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 2:40:15 pm

You can always use .obj to work between software.

But to answer your question most of it is done in either a node based compositing software like NUKE or Fusion... or in a layer based post-production like combustion or afterFX.

As for workflow this really depends on the company and also the shot; is there live action footage, tracking, dynamics, particles, to how many passes are required and to what is being done at each stage of the pipeline.

Return to posts index

Richard SmithRe: Workflow between Max and other apps
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 9:16:48 pm

I did not mean integration in the sense of compositing, but integration in the 3D scenes themselves. As I've said, I've read of scenes (like in Avatar, X-Men etc.) made with Max and animations with Maya- in the same stage, before rendering.
Is there a general, standard procedure to accomplish this? How do the pros do this?

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Workflow between Max and other apps
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:57:30 am

As far as pipelines go they are not the same stage. They are two seperate stages which at some point must be married/intergrated(ie composited). If you have two objects made in two different sotware there is a reason they have been made serperatly to begin with and often little reason to "merge" them, you might import shadow planes, reference points, light positions or camera paths but that is about it.

If you do an effect for something like X-Men then you are looking at dozens and dozens of render passes anyway and that is why there is no definitive answer and it largely depends on the shot, the company and the requirements....but as I said before the method to what you ask is to use a node based compositor.(eg. Flame, Fusion, Nuke)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved