3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

texture on top of material

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soren Lumholtztexture on top of material
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 12:33:46 am

New to the forum, but old max user. That means i'm old in animation tools. Modeling and texturing I'm a beginner.

So here's my problem:

1. I've created a cup
2. In Material Editor I've made a porcelain material.
3. On top of that I want a drawn texture (logo or whatever), so in ME i create a Multi/sub object and keep porcelain as one (Give it Material Id 1) and get texture in the other (material Id 2). (Mind you, all is unwraped and sits as it should. Texture is problem) On my texture I have alpha. What that does is make the square of the chosen material- Id see-through.
4. So does anybody have a solution to how to get an Alpha texture on top of exsisting material. Dosen't have to be Aplha texture. just so its only the drawing/logo Im slapping on?

Hope its understandable.

<a href="http://f1.creativecow.net/1131/cup">1131_cup.jpg.zip</a>

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: texture on top of material
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 5:11:55 pm

A multi/sub obj material is good for multiple ID channels what you want to do is have one channel with both textures in it.

To do this you can can either use a "composite" material and basically stack your materials as you would layers, or probably easier for what you want use a "blend" material have the porcelain in one slot, the logo in the other and use the alpha channel as the mask.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Soren LumholtzRe: texture on top of material
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:55:04 pm

Hey Ryan

Thanks. That absolutely did the trick. The blend one that is.

Thanks again :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved