3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Collada file exchange between 3ds max and blender not working

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan McCloudCollada file exchange between 3ds max and blender not working
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 9:19:40 pm

I am using blender 2.54.
I got 2 3ds max files (.max) that were authored by others using
3ds Max 2008. I do not have access to 3ds max 2008 but I have 3ds Max 2011. When I try to open these files in 3ds max 2011, I get obsolete format msg in tiny window and asks me to save in new format which I do.
After that I can see the model in 3d view as I expected. But I don't need to do anything other than exporting to Autodesk Collada format (.dae). This is because I need to work mainly with Blender 2.54.
In blender I import the .dae file from the folder to which 3ds max exported it. But unfortunately it looks so terrible, most of the details are gone and I see sharp zig zag edges where walls meets the floor or ceiling and just mostly plain grey color objects.

The original models are really very simple room and furniture objects with a couple of external image file for texturing and and light source and camera view within the room. Nothing fancy here.

I am a programmer and not 3d artist. So I am confused about how to go about this issue due to my lack of experience in using DCC tools.

Is the culprit here the Autodesk built-in Collada exporter?

I looked at OpenCollada but it seems it does not support 3ds Mx 2011.

So what is the best approach to import 3ds Max 2008 files into blender 2.54 without having access to 3ds Max 2008?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved