3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

T-shape pipeline

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto BedinT-shape pipeline
by on Sep 12, 2010 at 1:49:30 pm

I need to create a T-shape pipeline starting from an exagon poligon (smoothed with turbo-smooth).

It would be very easy to create a simple curve, but I need a T intersection.

Any suggestion?

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: T-shape pipeline
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 9:42:53 pm

If I am clear on what you are after then you create two pieces of pipe and place in the T position, then convert one into a compound pro-boolean(or boolean)object and pick the other one(probably want to set as union). You can always convert it back to poly and reapply the turbosmooth after, use edge weights to control the seam if necessary.

Return to posts index

Alberto BedinRe: T-shape pipeline
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:53:13 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly I had already tried this (union with ProBoolean) but after the smooth the result was very very bad also increasing the quad-patch prescision in the ProBoolean settings. I think that this could work starting from a square section but not from an exagon section.

The pipeline is coming from a exagon section so I can't change it...

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: T-shape pipeline
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:57:56 pm

Try this:

Make sure both are edit polys. place them in the t-shape with a small gap between them.

Attach one object to the other so that they are one object.

Delete vetices in the object that is the top of the 't'. Basically make a hole that the other object would fit in.

Select the faces around the hole and around the opening of the verticle part of the 't' (the part that would fit in the hole) and use the bridge feature to bridge the hole.

Modify accordingly.

This should work.

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: T-shape pipeline
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:01:07 pm

Another method;

Use a spline to make a right angle, then in the rollout enable it in viewport and set it to radial and number of sides accordingly. Convert this to a poly object and then what you want to do is remove half of one of the cyclinders down the middle(either slice tool or move verts to axis). Use the mirror tool and weld the two halves toegther. Again use the crease tool to keep a sharp angle when applying the turbosmooth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved