3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3ds max night city lights?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vatsal mishra
3ds max night city lights?
on Sep 5, 2010 at 5:04:35 am

i have modelled a city in city engine and exported out to 3ds max in obj format, my problem is i want to make a night city scene but how it is possible to light 1000 buildings with every one having 40 windows thus , do i have to put 40,000 lights in the scene for every window
plzz if u know the answer then refer me to a tutorial........
thanks in advance........:)

Return to posts index

Eric Blevins
Re: 3ds max night city lights?
on Sep 5, 2010 at 11:59:20 pm

I would create a sub-object material for the building. Then I would make the windows that you want to light up as a self illuminating map. This way they will light up. Here is a tutorial on After Effects that has some 3ds max help. The basic process is described in this tutorial:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_ledge/

You just have to wait until he gets to the 3d Max part which is about half way through the tutorial.

Hope that this helps.

Return to posts index

vatsal mishra
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:01:01 am

Thanks Eric! it was a bit helpful but if you have worked with city engine it fabricates a city with huge amount of random and nonidentical buildings, this tutorial have been much helpful if i have created city with copying may be a dozen of buildings , still it's seriously tedious to select those building's window faces.........
is there any other alternative way . BTW i was awared with lights & self illuminations in 3ds max , i was having problem in selecting windows for applying materials, etc.
srry for bad english its not my first language. ;)

Return to posts index

Alex Macintosh
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:46:40 am

Hey vatsal

Did you ever find a solution for your night city scene through city engine?

I am in the exact same situation at the moment. However I bring my OBJ into max, and am having problems firstly getting the textures on the buildings, any pointers to help me there to start with?

Of course the night scene with the lights on the windows is the next thing.

Cheers

Mac

Return to posts index

vatsal mishra
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:24:03 pm

Yes it may dissapoint you but for this either process your scene with any video production software like after effects or try this

apply same material to all building windows and apply a glow or some illumination to the material

I hope it would be helpful!

for any other query plz ask

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]