3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Control Animated Texture?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam PipesControl Animated Texture?
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:28:45 pm

Is there any way to control the current frame of an animated texture?

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Control Animated Texture?
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:02:55 pm

By animated texture do you mean a procedural map or an image sequence?

Image Sequence; In the materials palette there is a "Time" rollout where you can alter the start frame of the animation.

Procedural map; Use the phrase spinner in the material setup.

Return to posts index

Sam PipesRe: Control Animated Texture?
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 1:41:34 pm

It's an image sequence, but I need to have it stop as a desired frame. Changing the start frame just makes it animate with a different phase. Setting the Playback Rate to zero just locks it onto the first frame of the animation.

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: Control Animated Texture?
by on Sep 5, 2010 at 11:34:02 pm

I would just put the image sequence in a program like After Effect and get the sequence animated the way you want it. Then I would render it out as another image sequence and use that one as my texture in max. It would make the whole process easier.

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: Control Animated Texture?
by on Sep 6, 2010 at 11:53:06 am

As far as Im aware 3DS does not have a direct function for this as you cant key .ifl's. Maybe someone else might know of one possibly using scripts but this is an area Im unfamiliar.

The method I would use is as Eric describes.

Another work around would be to use a series of blend materials where you have the animated "in" material on one channel, the frame you want to stop on another and then the animating "out" material on a third, you can then use masks as controllers but it would probably be easier to just rerender the sequence.

Return to posts index

Sam PipesRe: Control Animated Texture? - Mostly Solved
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:46:11 pm

Okay, this was a bit tedious, but it works:

Make the texture a gradient ramp, and set each flag to a bitmap (right click on a flag and go to Properties), going down the sequence from one side to the other. Set the interpolation to Linear (for smoother transitions) and set the gradient type to Mapped.

This will unlock the Map button. Click it and set it to Mix. You won't need to do anything fancy with this if you just want to scrub through the animation, just leave it black and white with no maps. Your Mix Amount now controls what frame of the animation will be displayed. You can wire the Mix Amount to a slider or something and never worry about it again.

The only downside to this technique (aside from the hassle of setting all those flags), is that the gradient doesn't update in the viewport. Near as I can tell it will always just display the frame at the 50% mark. It does preview in the materials window, though. I really wish there was something built-in for this.

Hope this helps other people!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved