3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3Ds Max wont allow or render materials?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Knott
3Ds Max wont allow or render materials?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:37:33 pm

Hey, im only new to 3Ds max so not sure if im just doing something tiny stuffing it up (like a setting in the render setup) but basically when I download a model from a website I am unable to add any materials to it, the way i do this is by getting one from the net and dragging it into the material editor, and then dragging it onto the object, but even when i import into the material editor it doesnt appear their, it jst slightly changes the colour of the sphere to what seems like the next closest basic colour, by this i mean if i put in a dirt texture it will just make it brown..

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
Re: 3Ds Max wont allow or render materials?
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:47:11 pm

If you render the object is the texture on it? If so, then the texture is there. However, you can turn on a switch so you can see the texture in the viewport. It's frequently off by default I've found. See my photo to locate the switch.

Secondly, I'd suggest you put all of your materials in the path that Max uses by default for materials so Max can find them. You can set up any number of custom paths but it gets crazy. I keep all of my maps in a folder called "MaxMaps" and then by project in folders under that. That makes it easy for Max and network render nodes to find the maps as I've mapped that path in Windows Explorer.

Asus P5K-Deluxe - Intel Core2 Extreme QX6850 - 8GB DDR2 1066Mhz -ATI FireGL V8600 - 3D Studio (preMax) thru Max 2011 Design

Return to posts index

I Can't Tell You
on Jan 27, 2015 at 3:20:36 am

I had the same problem, and I've looked everywhere on the internet for a solution.

Thanks for Helping me out Rob.

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
on Jan 27, 2015 at 4:40:47 pm

Did it solve the problem or are you still having issues?

--------------------------------
3ds Max Design (3D Studio thru Max 2015), ASUS P9X79 Motherboard,
Intel i7-3960x, Hydro H80 CPU Chiller, 32GB DDR3 Ram,Quadro 4000 Display Adapter
----------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]