3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Flexible hose rig

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bailey KalestiFlexible hose rig
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 7:46:04 pm

I would like to know how to rig a hose in Max (I have 2010). I have created a custom hose (not a preset), and I would like to know how to constrain the chain end points to two other solid objects.

I created a bone chain that follows the joints of the low poly hose, and I applied the skin modifier to the hose. I then referenced the bones to be used, and I linked one end of the bone chain to the first solid object. However, I am unable to link the other end of the bone chain to the other solid object. The bone chain will link just fine, but if I animate the hose, it detaches from the constrain points.

All I want the hose to do is to extend (without too much deformation) and rotate if the two solid objects change positions relative to each other. A good example of this would be like the hose that attaches a propane tank to a nozzle.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: Flexible hose rig
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:52:21 am

Is there any IK on hte bones? If so, what kind?

When you say 'animate the hose', are you animating the bones or the solid objects that they are linked to?

If you are animating the bones and not the object, then they will move independantly regardless of what they are linked to.

If you have an IK setup, then you must link the IK handle to the object and then animate the object. Note that depending on the type if IK solution (i.e. spline IK), then the 'bone might not follow the object as expected.

Just some thoughts. I hope that this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved