3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Paper Dolls Rigging?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel FrustPaper Dolls Rigging?
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 1:55:48 am

I'm a noob to the world of 3D. I animate traditionally, so if I want anything, I just draw it quickly.

However, for a new project, I'd like to dwell into 3D.

I'm attempting to create a paper cutout, something similar to Gingy (the gingerbread man) from Shrek

...only flatter, like paper.

Something similar to this, but without looking like a new cutout for each pose (which this video looks like, but I do want to mimic the bends/waves/folds in the cutouts themselves):

I learned how to model, though I'm not the best. I'm curious about how to rig this, as all rigging tutorials I've come across are for dimensional solid figures, and I need something for a wave-like bendy cloth object thing.

Think of what I want to do as stopmotion, but with paper, not clay...and in 3D, not real life.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: Paper Dolls Rigging?
by on Mar 21, 2010 at 3:09:44 am

I would play around with the 'bend' modifier. You can stack multiple modifiers on top of each other to cover bends along different axes. Just make sure that you have enough iterations in your mesh so that the bends will be smoother.

If you know how to wire, then you could wire these bending properties onto a seperate object (like a control dummy or spline object) so that you have access to each bend in one place.

Return to posts index

Manuel FrustRe: Paper Dolls Rigging?
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:18:19 pm

Thanks! I'll give that a shot and let you know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved