3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

pivot point help wanted

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Georgepivot point help wanted
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:19:41 pm

this is a 3ds max project i am working on. basically the audio speaker is rotating along a pivot point behind the object to give it a realistic look. However i need the speaker to turn/roll along it's outer rim to look realistic, but as i have moved the pivot point i cant work out how to do it.

Return to posts index

Steve GeorgeRe: pivot point help wanted
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:58:46 am

....sorry forgot this part ...

can anyone please offer a solution ? :-)

im using 3s max 2010 on xp

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: pivot point help wanted
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 1:43:10 am

If you link the speaker to a dummy, then you can rotate the dummy and the speaker will orbit around the dummy. This way, you can set the dummy anywhere around the speaker and, in effect, change the pivot point of the speaker to that of the dummy simply by rotating the dummy.

You can still rotate the speaker object as well for some interesting animations.

If you already have the speaker linked to something else, you can animate the what it is linked to by using a link constraint. Your help files should be able to walk you through this if this is what you need.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2010 at 3:40:57 am

thanks for the reply eric.

i have tried the above but the two do not seem to link :-( - the are shown as linked in the select from scene window, but the speaker (object) does not respond to anything i do with the dummy.

any other suggestions or tips on how i can solve this please ?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2010 at 4:26:14 am

ah, i have sorted out the linking part, but the dummy is still rotating around the pivot of the object.

when i select the object to link the pivot point becomes highlighted, as i am linking the dummy to the pivot ... very confused.com

if i uploaded the max file, could u have a look at what i'm doing and maybe help me solve this ?

This is a great site and very helpful.

Thanks in advance

stevie

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:13:31 pm

You can upload the file and I can see what I can do with it.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:57:39 pm

thanks my friend. i'm a relative noob on 3ds max, spent hours trying to do this.

here's the file,

http://rapidshare.com/files/366791565/STEVIE_SPEAKER1.max.html

i have left the textures basic until i sort this rotation out to reduce render time

i'm trying to get the speaker to roll along the plane :-)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:50:14 am

First thing first: IF you are going to animate, do not use a group. This messes up a lot of things, especially rotations.

What you need to do is link each piece to another and create a hierarchy. This keeps the the set up clean and does not create any issues when rotating (like deforming mesh).

Follow these steps (there is a file that has most of these steps done for you):

1. Open an earlier version of the model and make sure that the pivots are centered and aligned to each object. To test this, you can rotate the objects on each axis and see if it rotates the way that you want it to.

2. DO NOT group them.

3. Create two dummies. Align one dummy with the outer rim of the speaker. Make sure that you align the orientation with it. Link all parts of the speaker to this dummy. When you rotate it, the speaker should spin around correctly. Note that this is because all of the pivot points were corrected and all of the objects should be linked to the dummy. If this is not the case, you can modify the dummy in the hierarchy panel by clicking the 'don't affect children' button and transforming the dummy accordingly. Unclick the button and test the rotate to make sure that it rotates properly.

4. Place the 2nd dummy where your original pivot point for the group was at. Link the 1st dummy to this. Animate both dummies to get the effect that you want.

I hope that this helps. You can upload a modified file here:

http://www.thecdexp.com/eric/STEVIE_SPEAKER02.max

I have linked everything but the dummy that rolls needs to be tweaked so that the rolling is correct.

I might have accidentally messed up the perspective view. In the future, I would create a camera and use that as the viewport. This helps reduce errors in shifting viewports.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:37:13 am

Thanks for the help again, but i'm still having problems :-(

i can't align the dummy properly with the rim of the speaker because when i select rotate (with don't affect children checked) it rotates the speaker also. i can modify the dummy with move and scale (with don't affect children checked) without affecting the speaker but it won't let me rotate just the dummy.

Is there something else i am missing here ?

Sowwy to be the pain ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:55:35 pm

I did not have that issue with the file that I had. Are you having this issue with the file I uploaded?

The whole speaker should be linked with the dummies correctly. I did some tweaking and there seemed to be no problems with the 'don't affect children' button.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]