3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

stacking particles

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
edward hanstacking particles
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:20:46 pm

I need a way to generate solid particles. Basically I need a way to 2000 objects fall on to a flat surface but not crash through each other, so that there ends up being a small pile in the center.

Can 3ds Max help me do this?

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: stacking particles
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:29:32 pm

of course!
almost any 3d package can help you on particles

in 3dsmax you, in a simple manner, you can use either a PArray, or a superspray, depending on the effect you wish

in the right of the screen, in the create panel, navigate to particles using the dropdown (that should currently point to primitive geometry)

when you create a superspray, you define when the projection of "spray" should start and end, for how long the particles should live, and how fast they should travel

the particle's direction will be defined by the orientation of the emitter (the icon that you created on the viewport)

the particle's geometry can be selected in the modifier rollout, and you can choose from simples figures, or instancing of some other object you have

you also have an option in that rollout that enables interparticle collision

for the particles to collide against a plane, you have to create a deflector
create a plane, and in the spacewarps panel (look for it, or use the reference to find it).
you have various types of deflectors, so read about them to know what they do.
i think you will want just a simple "deflector" or a "udeflector"

try it out for yourself, it's the best to do!

Return to posts index

edward hanRe: stacking particles
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:15:04 am

I can generate the particles but they crash through each other, is there a setting I'm missing in the PArray or do i need to add a field to the scene? I need them to stack on top of each other...

Return to posts index

Jayati ChakrabartiRe: stacking particles
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:08:02 am

I am facing the same problem. I am trying to stack a few coins on a surface. My settings are:

Emit start: -100
Emit stop: 100
Display until: 100
Life: 200

I used deflector and a gravity space warp so that the coins fall on the surface and stay there, also minimized the friction value of deflector spacewarp.

It works fine except that the coins pass through one another. How to stop this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved