3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

How to use mr SKY PORTAL ?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther DiepenhorstHow to use mr SKY PORTAL ?
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:49:10 pm

Hello, I have some basic questions about using mr SKY PORTAL in 3dsmax Design 2009.
I saw awesome photo's of windows in which they used the feature however I can't find a decent tutorial on how to do this anywhere, I googled for tutorials and mr sky portal but all I managed to get was a crappy no sound and low quality video on youtube which doesn't cut it for me.

If you know a good tutorial please post it up and I will be on my way, if not then can you explain the settings I would need, any other light effects for example to make it work?
I have a scene in which I have a square room, with a glass window in the top (one square with glass skin in the middle) and I put the mr sky portal above the glass with the arrow down, however when rendering the screen remains black and no effect is seen. Do I have to put it underneath it or something?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I just can't find any tutorials on how to use this function and I have never used it before either.

Okay I am editing this post now:

I found a good tuturial for this however I am looking for one that can explain me the following effect, I will add a picture link in the bottom. The tutorial I found has a reflect that casts down on the ground but it is very VERY hard light: http://karuma.deviantart.com/art/A-dark-room-a-ball-int-he-sun-156851281
How can I soften that up? Or at least have the entire room lit up gently and not have one big batsignal on the ground?

This is the tutorial I used:

This is kind of what I wanted to try making:

Return to posts index

Alex BluesummersRe: How to use mr SKY PORTAL ?
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:18:08 am

The example image you provided is a massive area light with a low intensity. You can replicate the effect in the same way. Sky Portals in this case won't do the trick because they're basically designed to give you a free Final Gather bounce while you're using Sun & Sky.

Check out my 3dsMax Video Tutorials. I think I have a written tutorial that covers mental ray area lights directly and should give you just what you need. Here's another one: http://www.mrbluesummers.com/?p=921

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved