3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3ds max using reference image or background source

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Morales3ds max using reference image or background source
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 3:54:43 pm

Hey, I've been trying to learn my way around 3ds max and its starting to sink in but for the life of me I cant figure this one 'simple' thing!!

I am trying to use a reference image/background source to trace (or maybe i'm not, you tell me) to draw a music note (yes, a really simple shape, not head modeling or anything like that) and so I've found 2 ways to do it.

1. I've read you can just use ALT+B (I'm on a PC) and just use the file in the background to basically trace over. I've done that by using the "line" object type. drew the shape, close the spline and now it seems this is where it gets tricky, I thought I read your supposed to convert it to an 'editable poly' & then you can add a modifier>Bevel. Only thing is when I convert it to a an editable poly I don't have the option for bevel anymore(it disappears from the modifier list) and I don't know why???

2. Then I read about the way to use reference images, but doing it that way isn't working either.

This is simple modeling but I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction because I feel stupid that this is 101 and the ways I've read it's supposed to be done isnt working for me.

appreciate any help, thanks.

Return to posts index

Miguel MoralesRe: 3ds max using reference image or background source
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:17:08 pm

ay, nix that..I just figured it out, it was the exact way I was doing it just, this time it worked!! BUT one quick question, noob question, is when I drew the note and made it 3d, the outline is kind of clunky, how do you smooth outlines out? Or should I just create vectors in illustrator and bring them to max (can u do that?)

anyways, thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: 3ds max using reference image or background source
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:57:40 pm

Select the spline (I am assuming it is a spline) and go to the modify panel and enter the vertex subobject mode. It is the one where three points are in a box.

Once in the vertex subobject mode, you can select each individual vertice and move it around. If it is not smooth enough, you can change it by right clicking on the vertex and assign it as a besier or any other type you want. Once it is a besier, then you can grab the handles and adjust it that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved