3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3DS Max: Point at for Camera?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Del Taylor
3DS Max: Point at for Camera?
on Feb 20, 2010 at 6:15:25 am

Hm... trying to figure out how to lock a 3DS Max camera onto a figure: (I have a CGI person walking down the street and want the camera to follow them, simple enough)

Tried a search for "point at" and "attach camera to object" and I'm getting a bunch of "follow path" tutorials (where you create a path and have the camera follow it) - trying to get the camera to follow a person, not a path. Any help?

I've tried creating a target camera and "grouping" the target camera to the Figure/object, no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Blevins
Re: 3DS Max: Point at for Camera?
on Feb 21, 2010 at 7:37:36 am

If you want the target of the camera to follow them, but keep the camera still, you can simply link the target of a target camera to any part of the character or his/her skeleton.

If you want the camera to move with the person, I recommend using a free camera and linking it to any part of the character or their skeleton. You can then add additional animation to the camera after linking it.

Keep in mind that linking the camera or its target will take on any animation of the object it is linked to. Therefore, there will be some bounce in the camera. If this is not what you want, you can wire a dummy to a specific axis (or two) and then link the camera or its target to the dummy.

If you don't know how to link or wire objects to each other, you can find this out in your max help files.

Return to posts index

Del Taylor
Re: 3DS Max: Point at for Camera?
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:56:32 pm

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]