3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Zero help from teacher

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew LaneZero help from teacher
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:45:47 pm

My teacher lives in New Zealand and I live on the eastern coast of US. I go to gameinstitute.com. My problem so far is that I can't seem to understand how 'weighting vertices' and 'envelopes' work. I can send a file I did with the "Physique" modifier to those who want to see. The problem sticking out the most is enveloping the buttocks area without enveloping the other leg. I'm almost grasping the concept of weighting but I just can't get past the deformations that occur at this point.
Thanks for any input.

PS: Trying to get a good conversation in with my instructor is like beating a brick wall. Please help.

Return to posts index

Eric BlevinsRe: Zero help from teacher
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:04:48 pm

I typically use the skin modifier instead of physique, but the concepts are similar. Eventually, you will need to adjust each vertice by itself. The envelopes will give you a good starting point. Once you tweak the envelopes for a decent skin, then you will need to update individual vertices in various poses.

To do this, pose the character at different times (for example, standard standing pose at 0, right leg lifted up at 10, left leg lifted up at 20, and so on). At this point, you need to weigh each vertex so that the character is deforming correctly for each pose. If things get tough, you can use the skinmorph modifier (which is preffered) on top of the skin/physique modifier to make sure that the deformations are correct at each pose. Once you are satisfied, then you can delete all of the unecessary keyframes.

Return to posts index

Matthew LaneRe: Zero help from teacher
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:08:08 am

I think my problem is understanding how to weight the vertices by 'painting' them in their place so they deform smoothly.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that might help explain this phenomenon?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved