3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Converting Tris to Quads

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark WalczakConverting Tris to Quads
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:03:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a 3ds Max model to play nice with Cinema4D. I have very little experience with Max, but would appreciate any and all help that you may be able to lend when it comes to converting a mesh done with tris to quads. Furthermore, I would like to smooth the mesh while maintaining any hard edges currently in the model. I am able to smooth the object, but it really messes up some seams, etc.

I would appreciate any and all help, and your prompt responses are much-appreciated!

I am running 3ds Max 2009.

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: Converting Tris to Quads
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 7:52:14 pm

i'm not sure if you can simply convert tris to quads, without doing it yourself.. maybe there is some way, but i don't have any available installation of max here to try it.

what i can tell you is about smoothing, try using smoothing groups
check a tutorial on them, and you'll find out that's what you want

for example, if you have a cube, made of 6 quads, and use smoothing, with all faces set to the same smoothing group, all edges will get smoothed. but if you set each face with a different smoothing group, they won't smooth.

of course you don't need a smoothing group for each quad. what it does is that an edge only gets smoothed if the adjacent faces belong to the same smoothing group.

so if you got the picture, you will understand, for example, that in the case of the cube, you would just need 3 smoothing groups to keep the edges hard (one smoothing group for each pair of opposite faces)

what you will have to do: in each edge that you want to keep hard, set both faces to different smoothing groups (for example, "1" on one side, "2" on the other). of course, on the "2" side, if you want the other faces to smooth with it, you will also have to change them all to "2".

try it and i guess you'll understand, it's not quite a good case for text-describing =)

besides that, each face can belong to multiple smoothing groups at once, i think you have 32 smoothing groups total.

check it out, i think you have the guidelines here
good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved