3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

move leg but then it moves entire half of body.. very weird! (image)

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Len Carter
move leg but then it moves entire half of body.. very weird! (image)
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:36:06 pm

I've just started learning 3d Max and I've created a landscape and now on to a small bug that will populate the land.
I've added bones and tried to add a dummy to the end bones to aid controlling his walking cycle... they don't work... not sure why - I'm using a demo version with VMware fusion on a Mac and it causing headaches... behaving very strange but I don't think this is what's causing my problems with the bug... as you can see when I moved his leg one entire half of his body moves too!! how do I stop this from happening... I just want his leg to move obviously.

any help with this would be great as it's taking a long time to do very small things in 3d max because of some issue with the fusion/mac/demo version... I'll reload it all in a few days but I just wanted to know how to sort his legs out.

Thanks
:-)

Return to posts index

Tiago Ribeiro
Re: move leg but then it moves entire half of body.. very weird! (image)
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:41:52 pm

i would like to try to help you but i can't figure out the anatomy of the bug, nor how the bones are built
try showing not the mesh, but the bone structure, that will greatly help on "debugging" =) and if you can, indicate some of the motion and explicit the problem

Return to posts index

Eric Blevins
Re: move leg but then it moves entire half of body.. very weird! (image)
on Dec 24, 2009 at 4:45:10 pm

I am making some assumptions here. The first being that you are using the skin modifier.

The second is that the mesh is in one piece. Is this the case?

If it is, then you would need to assign weights to each vertice to ensure only the parts of the mesh you want to move actually moves. 3ds Max automatically assigns weights when you apply the skin modifier. You will need to tweak these weights accordingly by using the various tools present in the skin modifer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]