3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Which format for an HD movie to play on 3d max

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe VerdoniWhich format for an HD movie to play on 3d max
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:31:07 pm

Hi,
Which export format should I use in PremierePro CS4 to play it on a plane in 3DSMax 9?
I am starting from 1440 x 1080 Mpeg files in PremierePro.
In the material editor, I click on the diffuse button, then I click on Bitmap. In the “Select Bitmap Image File” window which opens only the AVI and MOV type of files can be loaded. The MPG/MPEG files, although their format are listed in the box cannot be loaded.
The higher definition of AVI and MOV files that PremierePro can export is 720 x 576 which is not HD.
Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: Which format for an HD movie to play on 3d max
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:09:26 pm

i guess you must be doing something wrong on premiere
i'm pretty sure it supports much higher resolutions =)
720 x 576 is a dvd resolution, so you are doing something wrong when exporting
you are probably exporting to some kind of dvd format
double check premier's export options to find out where you can export to a custom file, in order to pick avi from it, and in the export templates you will probably have various formats, including hd 720p, hd 1080p, or the possibility to use custom format, etc..

Return to posts index

Philippe VerdoniRe: Which format for an HD movie to play on 3d max
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:20:32 pm

I have tried all the HD Mpeg export format available in the Export/Media menu including MPEG2 , and MPEG Blu Ray. For each one of these format I have tried the various HD options available i.e:
1440x1080 i ( 25 and 29.97 and 23.976 and 24 fps,)
HDTV 1080 i ( 25 and 29.97 and 23.976 and 24 fps,)
HDTV 1080 p ( 25 and 29.97 and 23.976 and 24 fps,)
No one of the test movies made with these settings opens in 3DSMax9.
In the 3DSMax9 “Material Editor” I am using the following process:
Diffuse -> Bitmap - this action opens the “Select Bitmap Image File” and I can see the files in the selection window, the ‘Open” button is active but when I press it with one file selected, the file doesn’t load.
Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:42:11 pm

but that is the problem: you are saving as an mpeg, but you just said that you can't load mpeg into 3dsmax, so DON'T try to export HD mpeg. just concentrate on exporting the movie.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WSF39C063F-6168-40ef-B854-6853E...

check this site. it show you all of the export options you have
avi should do you the trick. you are working premiere on windows right?
when you export to avi, you will have to choose a codec. if you ar large on disk storage use uncompressed avi, as it will have better performance, but may require additional disk space.
if you need to compress it, than investigate about which os the best codec for what you are doing

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:37:04 pm

In fact Premiere doesn't offer other export possibility than:
1 - Export media (this is the option that I took for the tests which I have descrided abov.
2 - Export to tape which you use for recording your movie on a video tape.

I keep trying to solve this problem.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:37:34 pm

I personally don't use premiere, so i don't have any copy installed, so i can't just open the program and tell you what to do.
but i can assure you that premiere supports exporting to a custom format avi file. i'm pretty sure about it. i'm familiar with most of the other creative suit products, and that's why i say that it is supported.. besides, if you follow the link i just gave you, it is assured by adobe support that you can export into various video formats
following the help provided by that link, i can easily see that you just have to select the option to export media, and in the new window that pops up, you should select the video format, in this case you should select an avi format.
this is all general procedure for exporting an avi from any kind of video-manipulation software, so it shouldn't differ from what you usually do.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:25:31 pm

Thank you very much for the time you have spent to help me solve my problem. Further to your advice on the use of various codecs, I have noticed that among its many AVI export settings PremierePro offers alternate compression codecs. Three of them enable exporting beyond the limit of 720 x 576 pixels , namely the Codec Intel IYUV, the Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit and the V210 10-bit YUV.
AVI movies made with these codecs load in 3DSMax. After rendering the scene in 3DSMax the results seem quite good. Using each movie made from these codecs, I shall compare the quality of the output movies after rendering the scene in 3DSMax.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:53:42 pm

i'm glad you finally solved it =)
as i said above, i would recommend you to use the uncompressed codec, because it is completely lossless, so you will preserve full quality in the exported video. the con is that it will require a lot of disk space. but uncompressed is by far the best format you can use while editing and interchanging between different software and systems (mac/linux/windows), because it's basically no-codec-based. instead of compressing, it just delivers full frames straightforward, so its faster to process while editing, does not give any problems on importing, and does not spoil your image quality. Basically it's the same as exporting an array of BMPs. any program can read a bmp, it's completely lossless, and requires no aditional time for decoding and encoding the codec.

the disk space required will be the following:
with your resolution 1440 x 1080 = 1555200 pixels per frame
each pixel has 3 channels (r, g, b), so in "Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit", it means that it will require 8bit per channel. so you will have 24bit per pixel, which is 3 Bytes (1 Byte = 8bit).
that means 3 * 1555200 Bytes per frame = 4665600 Bytes per frame.
divide by 1024 to get the number in KiloByte, and then again divide by 1024, and you get nearly 4.45 Mb per frame.
If you're doing 25 frames/s, this means 111.25 Mb per second of video, and 6.5Gb per minute of video.

if you have enough space to work uncompressed video, then go for it! its generally problem-free =)

good luck on the rest of your work

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 9:49:30 pm

Thank you very much for such a clear explaination on how to calculate the disk space for storing uncompressed HD video. I shall check with a short movie sample if it worth using so much space. I generaly make around 1 hour movies which means 390 Gb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]