3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Higher resolution display in viewport

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lee cheow heeHigher resolution display in viewport
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 3:01:55 am

I want to model based on a picture.
Currently I can map an image onto a plane but this displays as a highly pixelated image despite the image being very high res.
Is there a way to display a sharp image in 3ds viewport?

CH lee

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: Higher resolution display in viewport
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 7:06:50 pm

for what you are doing, you should use viewport background..
select your viewport, then from the View menu on the top, go to viewport background, and select a background image

on this dialog you will also probably want to check "Match Bitmap" in Aspect Ratio group, and "Lock Zoom/Pan" somewhere on the right, or else you won't be able to zoom into your high-res-image

beware that you may sometimes notice that your objects have suddenly grown or shrinked over the image, that is due to background view transformations, which may happen during zooming and stuff (i'm not sure if i have already understood when does this happen =)

to fix the problem, move again to the View menu, and select Reset Background Transform..
if this comes to you often, you can create a shortcut for it.

if after resetting the background transform your objects still do not match the image, then compensate the zoom on the viewport, and reset the background again. if you try it, you'll understand what i mean..
for example, if your image is larger than your objects, zoom in on your objects so they will become the size they should.. of course this will make the background zoom together with it. but that's when you reset the background transform, and it goes into place.

do not get scared with all that i have just said, i'm just preparing you for the problems that may urge to you while you are using a background image with locked zoom/pan =)

Return to posts index

lee cheow heeRe: Higher resolution display in viewport
by on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:14:59 am

Thanks diago

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved