3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Looping animation within an animation

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth SmithLooping animation within an animation
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:23:37 am

I need some advice about animating in 3ds Max 9. Is it possible to have a looping animated object within a bigger animation? For example a butterfly flapping its wings (which loops) animated along a path. I know that in Flash I would animate the butterfly flapping within a looping MovieClip and then animate the MovieClip symbol along a path. Is there anything similar to this in 3ds Max, or do I just have to add a keyframe and animate every flap of the wings for the length of time it takes to follow the path? The second option seems very time consuming, I figured there must be a better way to do it.

Hope that makes sense! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Donal O'SullivanRe: Looping animation within an animation
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 3:33:07 pm

There is a simple way to do this.

Create your single wing flapping motion over say 10 frames..
Then go to the Graph Editors Menu -> and Track View Curve Editor.
Select the particular track that you've animated (probably the objects XY or Z rotation.
Go to the track view menu "Controller" and -> "out of range types"
In this window you have a variety of options, you probably want to select "loop" or "relative repeat", see what works for you.. you should see a grey line in the motion graph showing your animation keys repeating forever..

Once that's working, link the wings to a butterfly body object using the main link objects tool, then the body can be animated any way you like, and the wings will just flap on and on and on...

Return to posts index

Elizabeth SmithRe: Looping animation within an animation
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 12:30:05 pm

That's just what I was wanting - I knew there had to be a better way. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved