3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Overlay 2d vectors onto 3d surface

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rein PetersenOverlay 2d vectors onto 3d surface
by on Aug 1, 2009 at 5:15:04 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a 3d surface which is not flat (it is a kitesurf board) and I have a 2d vector design that must be "painted" onto this surface but I'm uncertain how I might go about this without alot of work adding the third dimension to my 2d vector design that perfectly matches the 3d surface i want to lay it upon.

I'm using Autocad 3d Studio Max and Swift 3d... wondering if there is a technique that I can use that will make the work easier.

Maybe I can extrude the 2d design and use the 3d shape to cut through the extrusion but I am uncertain how that might be done and if even it is the best way to go...

Thanks for any advice,

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: Overlay 2d vectors onto 3d surface
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 4:29:17 am

i'm not quite sure i understood the problem..

if you mean you want to "paint" it, then you want to apply it as a texture, right?
doesn't simple "uvw mapping" solve the problem?
check out some tutorials on that

if you really need the image to perfectly match the surface, then check "uvw unwrap" tutorials, although this is a somewhat more complicated technique than simple uvw, but i think in this case it should be quite simple, because i'm taking a guess that the kiteboard should be a quite simple surface, especially when compared to other surfaces in which you really need uvw unwrap (such as character bodies and faces)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved