3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Depth of field, focus blur?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yan LigothDepth of field, focus blur?
by on Jul 24, 2009 at 11:53:05 pm

I have a camera with a target, lets say that the target is on the modeled head, what I want is to have a clear and sharp head, but the background to be blurred, and then have a transition that does appositive, head blurs away, background becomes clear. I don't know how to do it, seems like depth of field that I've found in camera control, doesn't do that. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Yan

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: Depth of field, focus blur?
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 2:56:32 pm

Do you do any post-production?
i think you can easily atchieve that using post production.. in combustion, for example, you would have your geometry on one layer, and the background in another layer, and you would keyframe a gaussian blur operator on both layers, one of them to blur, the other to remove blur.. i haven't exactly done that, but i'm quite sure it should work =)
after effects should be able to do the same
if you haven't ever used any of these, just note that compositing video layers is just like compositing image layers in photoshop, so the procedure would be analogous.. in matter of GUI, after effects is obviously more friendly to one that is familiar with photoshop..
as for a direct answer to your question, i'm sure the depth of field effect from mental ray should do the job, bot it will be faster and easier to tweak if you do that using post-production.

Return to posts index

Yan LigothRe: Depth of field, focus blur?
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 9:34:41 pm

Yeah right, I am going to do it in post, thought have one problem is that I'm receiving mental ray error when I render the image out. Basically it's saying that it can't allocate space... does it mean I don't have enough memory? I've set up pretty high values for quality, how can I get around it without decreasing any settings?

Return to posts index

Tiago RibeiroRe: Depth of field, focus blur?
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:21:49 pm

what kind of output settings are you using?
are you rendering a video or image?
saving the output directly to a file?
what is the image resolution?
i have never had that problem, maybe searching around the net you'll find some answers, but i doubt it would be a physical memory problem, unless you have a computer 6 years old or something like that =p
also check disk space usage, and windows page file settings, to be sure you are allocating sufficient page file. generally page files should have a minimum equal to the amount of ram you have, and a maximum 2x or 4x your ram, although you should be sure you have enough free disk space on the drive selected for paging

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved