3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Model Olympic medal

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan LaceyModel Olympic medal
by on Apr 13, 2009 at 7:00:41 am

I have to model an Olympic bronze medal and am not getting satisfactory results.

I've tried bump mapping and displacement mapping on it's surface but it's not very convincing.

I have access to a medal and will try and obtain further images for more experimenting, but there must be a way (I'm happy to pay commercial rates) to obtain the relief data of the two surfaces from it.

Any advice would be very welcolme.

Alan (London)

Return to posts index

Naren NavaleModel Olympic medal
by on Apr 15, 2009 at 2:37:03 pm

Hey Alan,

Can you plz send me your data (images or model file) I would check it weather I can help you out in this regard.

You can mail it to me on visualizer2009@gmail.com

Return to posts index

David DaraRe: Model Olympic medal
by on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:25:19 pm

Alan: I can do it for you. It will take me 1 day and I will charge you $30. If you want to save the money here is how you do it in a nutshell: Take a picture and create a relief picture for use as a displacement map (white is close, black is far). Model the gross geometry using a very detailed mesh. The detail should support the smallest detail in the relief. It will work well. Here is an example I did for a person who need a bubble gum machine.

The coin box was an intricate relief which would be ridiculous to model without displacement maps. Hope I have/can help! -David Dara (David@DaraProductions.com)

Return to posts index

Alan LaceyRe: Model Olympic medal
by on Apr 19, 2009 at 7:19:35 pm

Thanks guys but neither a bump map nor displacement map will work, I've spent hours trying. The images are wrong.

On each side the relief really needs to be modelled and photographs just don't cut the mustard.

I think I'll need to get it laser scanned but have no experience of that.

It's a 1924 Olympics medal BTW as I've seen some (poor) Beijin recent medal models for sale.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved