3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Mental ray sun

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clive JonesMental ray sun
by on Mar 21, 2009 at 2:00:31 pm

I am new to mental ray. I am trying to set up a mrsun and create grass with a map and a cellular displacement. when rendering the material renders black. need help.

Return to posts index

Arie StavchanskyRe: Mental ray sun
by on Mar 22, 2009 at 2:03:28 pm

You probably need to deal with the Physical Scale params in the environment dialog. Also, you can use the "Render Preview" dialog to test your lighting before you actually hit the render button on Max's Interface.

Getting the sun to work properly is hard if you've never done it before because you should only use the set of lights that are Photometric rather than the old-school lights (i.e. pre Max 2008). Once you have your photometric lights setup, you'll need to turn on the mentral ray Photo Exposure controls in the Environment dialog. There, you can tweak the f-stop, film, and shutter parameters of your render. You can also just use a EV (Exposure Value) to make your life easier.

You should also read this through all the way to really understand why your renders are turning out black.

Arie Stavchansky | Demo Reel | Portfolio of Creative Work | Blog

Return to posts index

Allan OnderickRe: Mental ray sun
by on Mar 22, 2009 at 4:21:57 pm

In mental ray you have to change your exposuer settings & you have to sky light and the sun light.

go to rendering:

and your rendering a effect dialog pops up
the second on is Exposure Control
I like and use mr photographic exposure control.
you can adjust setting there.

There is a great little tutorial that comes with max in the help area.

I know what I'm doing!!! really?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved