3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3ds Max on Mac with Windows 'virtual machine'?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rogier Chardet3ds Max on Mac with Windows 'virtual machine'?
by on Feb 22, 2009 at 12:47:15 am

I'm considering installing 3ds Max on my Mac Pro (2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Nvidia Quadro graphics card) which also runs Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit) thru the VMWare Fusion software that creates a 'virtual machine'.

Is there any reason why this would not work properly? I'm asking because I have never used any Windows-only, processor-intense software on this virtual machine - only stuff like Office 2007.

Return to posts index

Donn GuruleRe: 3ds Max on Mac with Windows 'virtual machine'?
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 7:14:40 am

A virtual machine typically always has virtual devices, regardless of what the native hardware is. Therefore if you are using a Quadro card, the virtualized OS knows nothing about it, but just sees a generic VMWare graphics "card". An application that benefits by using any type of accelerated graphics card will be limited by the much less powerful virtual graphics system if ran from the virtual instance (OS) and will result in a significantly limited ability to draw complex geometry.

I was curious about the graphics performance with a virtual instance, so I built a Linux box with a Quadro 5600 card and a Quadro 3700 card, with 32 GB of RAM on an 8-core Opteron setup. I installed VMWare and then put Vista 64 on as a virtual instance. I then installed QuickTime and was able to get a HD video to play, but it would start dropping frames over 720p. Also, the redraw was really bad, leaving a trace of the window positions all over the screen for at least 5 seconds.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear, but I hope it helps =)

Return to posts index

matt cueRe: 3ds Max on Mac with Windows 'virtual machine'?
by on Mar 4, 2009 at 4:24:45 pm

When you say you are running the OS as a "virtual instance" what does this mean? Is the BIOS loading the Mac OS then running another OS as more or less a program? Would a separate boot drive solve this so you could select in the BIOS which OS you wanted to run. I am thinking about getting a MAC pro but am a 3d max user.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnieRe: 3ds Max on Mac with Windows 'virtual machine'?
by on Mar 23, 2009 at 1:58:14 pm

Just run it in boot camp ... a little reboot and presto :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved