3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3D Arrows

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Schnyer3D Arrows
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:11:50 am

Hello CC Forums, I have a question in regards to creating 3D arrows for a film. The set up is this: the scene(s) would involve hand-held (or Steadicam) camera movement and thus not a very controlled environment for emulating with a digital camera move. I want to have 3D arrows flying through the scene as an atmospheric sense of mayhem.
So, is it possible to create arrows in 3DS Max *without* integrating a camera move(I'm an After Effects guy, haven't done anything with 3DS yet beyond watching tuts)?
Basically, can I create the object, and then manipulate it in After Effects to suite my scene(s)?
Thanks in advance,
-Michael

Return to posts index

Naren NavaleRe: 3D Arrows
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 1:52:55 am

Hi

considering a steadiness and lighting conditions of existing environment, you create arrow model then take PNG or TGA and check for its merging in your footage. Once rendering conditions are ok you can take image sequence.........thats it. OR you can use this still image by linking to tracked null in AE and use scale, fading and deformation tricks to maintain it stuck at accurate point in film....either while in bow or even when left from bow!

I hope I could understand your scene condition!

cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael SchnyerRe: 3D Arrows
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 5:08:14 am

Hi, thanks for the response. I think I understand what you mean: make the digital image in 3DS, check it against my footage for accuracy (color, lighting conditions, etc) and then render it out and use Transform options in AE to get the desired results.
Here is a followup question: will they still be 3D objects once in AE, or will they just be 2D images of a 3D object?
-Michael

Return to posts index

Naren NavaleRe: 3D Arrows
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 6:15:47 am

Hi

as long as you use rendered output (still image) it will be 2D image only.

I m not sure but AE CS 3 or 4 has 3D capabilities and who knows if it can handle 3D objects directly?

If at all its a matter of inserting direct 3D in footage u can use 'Synth eyes' or even max's 'camera tracker' may also help you. Only thing is you have to be selective between these two depending upon quality requirement.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael SchnyerRe: 3D Arrows
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 2:12:42 pm

Hi, and thanks for a great suggestion. I wasn't sure if tracking the camera moves would work for what I need, but thinking now, I believe it may. The problem would only become the amount of times doing this for all the different shots, but that's what you get when you undertake such a huge project, right?
Thanks for the answers!
-Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]