3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Ellipsoid slices and circumference measurements

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott JensenEllipsoid slices and circumference measurements
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 11:25:48 pm

I'm working on a project that involves creating multiple ellipsoids (currently using Inivis AC3D) then cutting away a single section of each ellipsoid. The result is SIMILAR in shape to a half shpere (dome).

I need to measure the outside perimeter and know the exact shape of each partial ellipsoid at multiple points along the horizontal axis.
In other words I need to slice each partail ellipsoid into many segments and know each segments exact 2d shape and perimeter length.

I haven't been able to do this in INIVIS AC3D. Which progam allows this?

More details: I will be bending steel rebar that closely matches the shape of each segment of the ovoid (in software) with the help of a scaled grid laid out on the ground to create a ferrocement (steel rebar and cement) ovoid. Several ovoids actually.

Return to posts index

Naren NavaleRe: Ellipsoid slices and circumference measurements
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 1:59:28 am

what i understand is,
you need various cross sections on defined or variable pitch of a geometry. and you need to know their length (Pi x L) right?

for this,

use section tool under shapes in MAX....cut what ever sections u want..then in utility pannel use the measure tool which exactly give length of the profile shape in the units u set up.

I guess this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved