3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Render Out 3D Title for After Effects Composite

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elli Raynai
Render Out 3D Title for After Effects Composite
on Jan 22, 2009 at 1:49:32 am

Hi,

I am pretty new to 3D and I am working on a motion graphics sequence where the client wants to have a 3D title. He wants the title to move towards the camera and change perspective so the audience will be able to see the title in 3D.

I worked through a 3D Title Tutorial in 3DS Max which showed me the ropes but when it came time to render, all I had was a still PNG file that was from one perspective (in this case it was from the front). How would I be able to render out a 3D title so I can composite it in After Effects whereby it has the traits of a full 3D object, so if I swung the camera around I could see it as fully 3D title.

Any assistance on this would be awesome!

Thanks,

Elli

Return to posts index

David Chappell
Re: Render Out 3D Title for After Effects Composite
on Jan 22, 2009 at 11:05:51 am

Hi,
Under Rendering>Render - you need to set your time output (first item under Common Parameters).
It will be set to Single (single frame) by default - either click it to Active Time Segment or the range of frames you want.
Also you must go down to Rendr Output and click 'Files...' button to specify a path and filename. If you output as individual image files it will automatically incrememnt them for you.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Elli Raynai
on Jan 22, 2009 at 5:32:46 pm

In terms of the settings, I have clicked on Active Time segment and have specified the area to render as "View". However in order to get the whole 3D text exported so I can animate it in After Effects, do I need to do my animation keyframe in Max? Also do I need to export it with it's Alpha Channel and if so I don't see the option of where it is located.

Thanks for your assistance!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 23, 2009 at 2:42:11 am

Elli -

When I render flying titles out of 3D Studio Max I generally output my file as a Quicktime, Animation, Millions of Colors+. This will build the alpha channel into your Quicktime movie, so that you won't have to either render the matte and fill files separately, or render numbered targa files (which also works).

I also render my QT file at 60fps, no fields; that way, when I import into my compositing app (I use After Effects, sometimes Combustion), I don't have any issues with stutter on parts of the animation that move quickly past the camera on the x/y axes.

You will find your codec choices in the Render toolbar. I don't have it open in front of me, so I can't walk you through it, but it's pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Joe Bourke

Return to posts index

Elli Raynai
on Jan 23, 2009 at 12:12:29 pm

Cool, thanks very much for all the advice. I will work on it and definitely post back if I have any issues.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Jan 25, 2009 at 6:05:14 pm

Elli,

The answer to your question about whether you need to keyframe the animation in 3d max before exporting is yes. Currently, After Effects has no native import function for 3d files, including any exportable from 3d max. 3d in after effects is limited to flat planes. You will need to match your movements in after effects with your camera move in 3d max if you want anything in your composite to move together. But that is a whole new subject.

Best of luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]