3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Hiding Faces

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug SinclairHiding Faces
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 2:11:01 pm

Hi there,

I want to hide only selected faces on a mesh. I know I can select the faces and click on "hide", but that just makes them invisible in the viewport and doesn't stop them from rendering. I also tried applying a 0% opacity material to them, which sort of works but interferes with shadow casting and other aspects of the render.

Is there a way to make selected faces disappear altogether without deleting them?

Return to posts index

sharif elnaggarRe: Hiding Faces
by on Nov 20, 2008 at 3:56:44 am

Hey there...what you do is make a new material that has 0 opacity. Select the face with edit mesh...not mesh select...be sure you do that...and assign that material you just made to the selected face.
Hope that works.

Return to posts index

Doug SinclairRe: Hiding Faces
by on Nov 20, 2008 at 3:02:11 pm

Yeah, I tried that. But there's a "Hair and Fur" modifier involved, and the shadow rendering for the hair doesn't ignore the 0 opacity material. So I wind up with bizarre shadows floating in mid air.

I need the faces to be gone completely, but I can't delete them (because it will mess up other modifiers in the stack).

Return to posts index

sharif elnaggarRe: Hiding Faces
by on Nov 24, 2008 at 6:43:45 am

in that case make the material a matte and uncheck recieve shadows, apply it to the face or object that has the hair modifier.
that should do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved