3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

US Map modeling problem - need help

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yaron keinanUS Map modeling problem - need help
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 12:15:02 am

Maybe its basic but will appreciate any help.
I bought from iStockphoto a USA map illustrator file (.ai format). Imported the file into 3ds max and applied the bevel modifier. However, the model would not accept a bumpy material that I created. What can be the reason, and is this the right way to go.
The product at the end should be an individualy 3D map where each of the states in keyfraed individually in space into position.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: US Map modeling problem - need help
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 6:37:57 pm

I think this problem may be a basic one - have you checked the mesh created from the .ai import to make sure that it has enough detail for the bump map to make any difference? If your mesh only has lines on it for the outlines of the states, then there is nowhere for the bump map to do its' work. You need to increase the level of detail for the bump map to show up.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

yaron keinanRe: US Map modeling problem - need help
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 10:24:10 pm

I realized it's something basic. However, how can I increase the level of detail for the bump to work? it's a path imported from Adobe Illustrator, and each path represents different state of the USA.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: US Map modeling problem - need help
by on Nov 4, 2008 at 5:49:27 pm

I believe that once you bring in your .ai file, and put a bevel modifier on it (if that's how you're doing it), you can then put an EditPoly modifier on it, select the faces you want to have more polys on them, and do a Meshsmooth modifier within EditPoly. I think that's the way to go. Others with more knowledge may want to weigh in on this one.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

yaron keinanRe: US Map modeling problem - need help
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 10:25:14 pm

I realized it's something basic. However, how can I increase the level of detail for the bump to work? it's a path imported from Adobe Illustrator, and each path represents different state of the USA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]