3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Creating a simple preset torus knot

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus EckertCreating a simple preset torus knot
by on Aug 5, 2008 at 10:31:47 pm

I guess this is simple but I'm completely new to 3ds Max and I've no clue how this works. So here's what I need to do:
I created a simple preset torus knot (extended primitives) and it's basically a twisted ring. Now I want to increase the diameter in parts of it, I want it to be thicker basically. Obviously I also want the transition from thin to thick to go gradually and smoothly. So it goes from thin to thick and then to thin again.
Can someone help me or show me a tutorial where something similar is explained? I'd really appreciate it. thanx

Return to posts index

Abhijyot SinghRe: Creating a simple preset torus knot
by on Aug 15, 2008 at 10:26:34 am

I personally cannot think of an easy solution, however, one thing which may be worth a try is to add the modifier "edit mesh". then in the modifier panel for the edit mesh click on the polygon button to allow you to work with the faces of the shape. Then scroll and find (cannot remember where) the ignore backfacing and soft selection checkboxes. Soft selection selects the faces around the one you have selected, so if you move one, the others move proportionally to their distance to the first (youll understand when you try it). Then finaly, just drag a marquee to select the area in which you want the transition to take place and then scale and move the polygons till it looks right. You may need to increase or decrease the value in the soft selection settings if too many or too little neabry polygons are being affected. Hope this helps, I am learning Max too so thats probably why i got this complicated and long solution when there's probably a better one. Anyway, post back if theres anything you dont understand. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Marcus EckertRe: Creating a simple preset torus knot
by on Aug 15, 2008 at 2:23:48 pm

Actually yeah there is. When creating a torus knot you can add "lumps" to it in the modifier panel (if it's not yet converted to an editable mesh). That was actually pretty much what I had wanted and I was pretty surprised at how easy it was. Before that I'd tried to attach a hose to a spline which would have worked too I guess but it would have looked a lot messier and not nearly as smooth. Thanks for your reply though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved