3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Replacing an object in live action footage with 3D model

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo EllsteinReplacing an object in live action footage with 3D model
by on Jul 5, 2008 at 5:59:45 pm

Hello everybody.

One of our clients has asked us to replace all their logos in one of their old spots with their new logo. This hasn't been a problem when the logo is static, but the problem is that on this particular ad, the logo appears on glasses where that several kids are drinking from! Eek! This means that the camera is moving (slightly), and that the glasses pitch, bank and roll.

We've had some success doing this frame by frame by simply setting the footage as background, and creating a cylinder to mimic the glass' movement. We then put the logo on our 3D cylinder, composite the shot in After Effects, and presto.

The problem is that when the glass movement is to wild, we're having a very tough time matching the movement in 3D. When we composite, the virtual logo jumps, and doesn't seem to stick to the glass.

So MY QUESTION is... is there any better way of doing this than what we're trying now? If someone has gone through this process and has an easier way of accomplishing this, be it some software or simply a tutorial or methodology that could make our lives easier, it would be a GREAT help.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Naren NavaleRe: Replacing an object in live action footage with 3D model
by on Jul 7, 2008 at 5:14:23 am

interesting and challenging too!
instead of trying in MAX alone try it in syntheyes. I guess it would give better control on wild shaking actions.

You can also try imagineer systems applications like mocha, mokey etc.

I like such challenging things to do always, I remember I had done some label replacing recently.

all these are costly issues. what do you think?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved