3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Transform external data to trace movements in 3ds max

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Debi
Transform external data to trace movements in 3ds max
on May 28, 2008 at 3:18:53 pm

Dear 3ds users,

I have a particular and challenging problem to propose you.

I and my friend have made some experiments with motion detection using a camera.
We use some programs written in C, with different openCV’s.

We have mapped some movements (person walking), on a 2D map.
Then, now we have 2 information, relative to the position of the object, X and Y (expressed in pixels) for each frame.

Now, I would like to translate these movements, represented by X,Y information, in a virtual space (in 3ds max).

First of all, I have read some articles about bip, bvh, csm and stp motion files, but it’s too complicated for me to understand how to transform my x,y data to this format (I’m not a programmer or engineer)

Can anybody help me in this adventure?

I just need to import this data to 3ds, and relate them to a simple object, let say a sphere or to a biped. The third dimension is not important, because there are no vertical movements.

I would like to do this in 3ds max because I used it for a good while, but if somebody has a solution which would work on other programs (maya, AE and so on) it’s welcome.

Have anybody any idea on how to do this?

Many thanks!!!

p.s. I know there are some program that makes motion tracking and so on, but we have to use just our program written in C, with our X,Y data... but this is the challenge!

Return to posts index

Naren Navale
Re: Transform external data to trace movements in 3ds max
on May 29, 2008 at 5:04:49 pm

HI

I always did R&D based work in max. Also tracked film footages sometimes but by other ways.

I guess try camera tracker in max. I have not used for last few months but in past I did many things with this.

Return to posts index

Martin Debi
on Jun 2, 2008 at 2:26:02 pm

Thanks Naren for your help, but I solved the problem in a different way.
I red carefully the specification of BVH files and I found out that it’s simpler than that I thought!

I just need the root point position, which is linked to the chest. This point is defined by X Y and Z, which are the first 3 numbers in the motion section of the BVH file! All other points are children, and I don’t need them!

I will just make a little script to convert my data and to put them to the right place in the BVH file, and the game is done!

Greetings...

Return to posts index

Naren Navale
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:15:35 pm

Oh great!
I m not familiar with this BVH much. Great I would appreciate if you share this tricky thing with me.. Of course if it is not that confidential and only if you feel OK!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]