3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

how can i create real lights

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Video Fx Universehow can i create real lights
by on Jan 27, 2008 at 1:01:23 pm

Ok im very used to using lights to illuminate your scene and pretty much which ones to use when and what ones to use shadows with etc… however I need to know how to make a real light. What i need to do is create a flashing beacon that you get on aircraft and I am unsure on the technique on how to do this. I know how to keyframe the ights to come on and off so that isn’t the problem its just finding out how to create a real lightbulb that i am having trouble with

Return to posts index

hans van vlietRe: how can i create real lights
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 10:48:05 pm

it's hard to figure out what you're asking for, but one thing that helped me create more realistic lights was to a) work in the correct size units at all time and then to b) use .ies lights.

A basic search on the web with "3ds max .ies" will show you some tuts on how to bring them in and use them in your scenes.

They hold the light intensity and noise information in a file and help create REAL light looks in your scene.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

John HammondRe: how can i create real lights
by on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:20:37 pm

Do you want to have the effect of having an actual light bulb object, which i think is what you're getting at?

The way I've dont this before is to create the geometry of the light.. say a light bulb with a fillament inside. Then you can place your point light right in the centre and it will seem as if the light comes from the fillament.
To help the effect you could make the fillament have 'self illumination' -by turning it on in the material editor. This will make it glow. You could also switch on the Volume Light in the environment/effect settings, and choose your light. this creates a atmospheric glow around the light.
There is also a way to make light emit from the surface of geometry which may help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved