3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NoGableDual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Dec 28, 2007 at 9:08:56 pm

My main setup is a laptop and a plug in monitor for a dual monitor system, but when I disconnect the second monitor to work with the laptop only, many of the windows in Max will not come up (Max does not seem to recognize that there is now only one monitor. How can I rectify this? I think the easiest way is tho erase the ini file and let Max build another. I have Max 9 and there doesn't seem to be, or I can't find, the ini file ("3dsmax.ini") to erase.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
S. Behrens

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Jan 3, 2008 at 2:57:08 pm

Plug your other monitor back in, boot up 3ds max, open the windows that come up on the other monitor and drag them to your Laptop monitor. That should fix it. I'm sure your video card setting might have some "force all on single monitor" setting. Hope this helps ...

Colin

Return to posts index

NoGableRe: Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:01:57 pm

Thanks,Colin. Yes, that works. I was hoping for an alternative method in case I forgot to move them over before going back to single monitor. Plus, it means going over a long list of menus; not very practical for my situation. The graphics card does have that setting, but doesn't seem to make a difference with Max. It would seem I have 2 choices. Having the menus appear on the laptop monitor when in 2 monitor mode (not so bad, really, or erase the ini file, and have max create a new one, but I can't find it in max9.

Many thanks,
S. Behrens

Return to posts index

Radek MichalikRe: Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Feb 14, 2009 at 9:41:40 pm

Hey NoGable, I got it.

I just had the exact same problem. For the life of me I couldn't get the Layers Manager back onto my main monitor. I spent an entire day trying to figure this thing out. Follow these steps and you're golden.

1.) Select the Layers Manager window. You can do this even if you don't see it, just click the Manage Layers... button on the toolbar (sorry if I'm explaining elementary elements...) After you click that button, touch nothing else...

2.) Hold down the Alt key and press the spacebar. That will pull down the Layer Manager's (or any other window within Windows that's off the monitor and thus unselectable) Control menu. Press the letter M (for Move), and then use the arrow keys to slide the window back toward the main screen.

That's it! I found this answer on this website:

http://www.ssuet.edu.pk/taimoor/books/0-7897-0674-1/htm/ch08.htm

I know you'd like to tell Max to pop these windows up on the main monitor by default, but at least now you have an easy way to get any window back onscreen without plugging your laptop back in and all that jazz. Hope this helps!

PS: I have a question of my own. I got a Quadro CX card (won in a contest) and it has only one DVI port, and two DisplayPort connections. I can't get my second monitor to work when I plug in the displayport connection (via a DisplayPort to DVI converter). Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Sam BehrensRe: Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 1:05:54 am

When you say Display port, are you talking about a serial type port, Hdmi, rgb? I have problems when the monitors are not matched (resolution).

Many thanks,
Sam Behrens

Return to posts index

Radek MichalikRe: Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 1:22:29 am

Well check out the Quadro CX, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_cx_us.html

It has one DVI port, which is well and good. But then it's got two "DisplayPort" ports, which look a bit like USB ports, but are apparently very new display connections. Now, there's a conversion cable included with the Quadro that takes this DisplayPort and converts it to something that LOOKS like a DVI port, but it's just slightly different enough so that I can't hook up my second monitor. The differences lie in the four pins above and below the flat connector in the DVI socket: in my converter, there's simply no place to plug in those four pins, so I can't hook up my second monitor. Hope this makes sense, I haven't been able to find much assistance about this online.

Return to posts index

Sam BehrensRe: Dual monitors to single monitor . . . erase ini file?
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 6:10:29 am

I can't see the ports very well from the picture. Unless it's something really new, my guess is it's an HDMI port, making it connectible to a hi-def TV. Isn't there a manual that explains what they are and what they connect to?

Many thanks,
Sam Behrens

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]