3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

COW Tutorials: 3ds Max Flying Through Clouds

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathlyn Lindeboom
COW Tutorials: 3ds Max Flying Through Clouds
on Dec 15, 2007 at 12:17:54 am

Flying Through Clouds in 3ds max

In this tutorial from Jonas Ussing, you will learn to create a fly-through of a realistic cloud tunnel that renders relatively fast, using 3D Studio Max with no plugins or 3rd party renderers.

Click on the link above to find Jonas' tutorial.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Mistress of Mmmooooo

Return to posts index

Video Fx Universe
Re: COW Tutorials: 3ds Max Flying Through Clouds
on Dec 27, 2007 at 7:20:39 pm

cant get the cloud to work properly and I followed it step by step

Return to posts index

Joe Mineer
on Jan 4, 2008 at 7:55:08 pm

This is an awesome tutorial that would be very useful. But I am stuck early on. I am using 3DMAX6 and when I get to creating a new material for using the image file created in a paint program, I get stuck. I cannot seem to create ANYTHING that resembles the finished material. In the tutorial it looks like a square material with the "popcorn" clouds surrounding it. The only way I could seem to use the image file was to click on "bitmap" in the map window but I still end up with a ball. The instructions are kinda vague. It makes it harder for beginners to learn this stuff. Can you elaborate for the "dummies?" How do you make a "solid white color" material and then use the image file for the opacity map? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Video Fx Universe
on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:39:44 pm

Alough this is a great tutorial, I really believe that rather important steps have been completely missed out,which really annoys me with tutorials. Maybe a video tutorial would have been better. I am stuck right at the beginning by creating the cloud using a teapot. I do not get the fluffy material that is shown at the end of the first part. And i copied the whole tut word for word about 6 times and still got the same result which resembled nothing like the cloud. So I know for sure that important key points where missed out which really makes this tut absolutly useless. So could the author maybe redo it with a full step by step guide or a video tut

Return to posts index

Joe Mineer
on Jan 4, 2008 at 9:36:34 pm

I was just about to post the same response. I managed to figure out the material and everything went as expected until I got to 1.10 and rendered out "something". All I saw was a black background with what looked exactly like an inverted version of the view port teapot. I went ahead and deleted the teapot as instructed but the particles were not there so I know something must not have taken.

I agree that there are not enough instruction with this tutorial. If you go to the author's website he has a PDF of the tutorial. I don't know if it's different or not.

Return to posts index

Video Fx Universe
on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:06:16 pm

it is exactly the same because i used that one first then checked this one

Return to posts index

Joe Mineer
on Jan 5, 2008 at 12:50:24 am

I could be wrong about this since I am a newbie. But, I wonder if the light has to bind with the teapot to get the effect? Because as I said, when deleting the teapot, I end up with a small spot of light in the viewport. I may be way off but it's a work in progess following some digital tutorials. If I manage to get this thing working, I will post about it. I would certainly appreciate the same from anyone else. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jonas Ussing
on Jan 7, 2008 at 1:13:39 pm

Hi guys, thanks for trying out the tut, sorry you're having trouble with it. The extent of the tut is rather large as it covers Particle Flow, Material Editor, advanced lighting, flight path setup and volumetric ray-marching theory, so I've had to base it on a certain level of Max knowledge - it would've been a 300 page tutorial if I had to explain all the little things, and I'm not getting paid by the letter. ;)

I'm more than happy to help you get past the step that's not working for you, but you'll have to post screenshots of your setups and what it looks like when you render, because currently I have no clue what's going wrong. Others have made it past those steps just fine. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Return to posts index

Will Towle
on Mar 1, 2008 at 11:44:44 am

Hey Jonas,
Well I'm actaully getting stuck on part 1.1 I'm afraid. You say to open up the particle view and make your list of parameters, but in the diagram you have another "PF Source" box which I never get, just hoping you'd be able to tell me how to get this?

Cheers,
Will

Return to posts index

Bradford Alicea
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:20:19 am

Hello Jonas, thanks for the awesome tutorial. The final QT video is very inspiring. Unfortunately I am unable to achieve the same results. I seem to be having problems with creating the "cloud" material. I am stuck on the "fluffy teapot" section. My problem is when I go to render after setting up the light, all I get is a black background, so I tried rendering with turning on the "renderable" option for the teapot, that renders JUST the teapot. Then I tried applying a default material to the particles, that worked fine, rendering the particles around the teapot, but the particles don't render when I apply my "cloud" material. I must be skipping some step that is assumed to be common knowledge and is making it so my material doesn't have any opacity. Could you list more details, like what kind of material to start off with and all the steps, no matter how tedious, need to be taken to create this cloud material(except for the creating the cloud image in a paint program, I got that part down, but, do the dimensions of the cloud image need to be specific? How do you scale it to fit properly on the perspective "cube" in the materials viewer?) I'm using 3DS MAX 2009 if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Theo Aquitanious
on Jan 7, 2009 at 5:45:43 pm

Hi.

Jonas, the tutorial is great. I did suffer some of the problems mentioned above at first, but i cant remember how i overcame them. i am a Max noob so i had to search around for some of the options you mention (as you say, you have to assume a certain level of knowledge), but after i did i managed to complete it perfectly well and adjust it to my needs.

Here is my interpretation which runs as a loop!

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

emmanuel ganguillet
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:02:39 pm

Hello Jonas

Thank you for this great tutorial

This is definitely not so easy and not for beginners !

It globaly worked but there is a problem with the texture :
We can see the border of some squares. (Lightning is not good as well). Any idea of what I did wrong

thanks
Emmanuel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]