3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Fish or at least sin wave

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
editmasterFish or at least sin wave
by on Dec 11, 2007 at 9:45:27 am

Hi everyone ...

Since I never done any rigging before and no organic animations (manly architectural work) I

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: Fish or at least sin wave
by on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:31:02 pm

Try a bend modifier. Goto the sub object level of the bend modifier and adjust as needed. Hope this helps ...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Fish or at least sin wave
by on Dec 12, 2007 at 3:12:54 pm

While the bend modifier will work with a fairly simple animation that won't be viewed to closely, I think the best way to do it is to rig a skeleton for the fish, so that you can have its' separate elements moving the way a real fish would (fins moving separate from the bending motion of the backbone and tail, gill fins waving to do the micro-steering a fish needs to do). Maybe by doing separate mesh selections and using the bend modifier would do it.

You might also try using a ripple modifier, and moving the whole fish through it. OK...but not as good as rigging a skeleton. If all you're doing is making a school of fish, you can probably get away with the bend or the ripple modifier, but if you've got a hero fish which will be seen in tight shots, the fake will be painfully apparent. I think the skeleton setup for a fish should be pretty easy to do with Biped, but I'm a rank beginner at character animation, so it might be tougher than I'm thinking. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved