3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Breaking Up Sharp Edges

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DoohniborBreaking Up Sharp Edges
by on Sep 20, 2007 at 5:27:41 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a affordable (in terms of time) and at the same time good looking way to roughen edges.

example:
creating a simple concrete box - if I do it in max, the edges would of course be perectly smooth, but in real live the edge would have lots of small imperfections.

is there maybe a plug-in that focuses on exactly this problem?

during the last few years I tried many different ways to deal with this problem, but none of the stuff was a good solution since it either required too much effort or was just not looking right. the last one I tried was a plug-in called f-edge, but it seems like it is doing it's thing just on some kind of bump mapping level.
I'd rather prefer something that actually alters the geometry in a way maybe in a displacement fashion, cause this probably would be the only thing to look good from at close up range.

any ideas? : )

Return to posts index

TwitchmonkeyRe: Breaking Up Sharp Edges
by on Sep 27, 2007 at 1:24:09 am

You're not so much looking for the texture of concrete, but the uneven edges? In that case, I'd probably approach it by ust adding some more vertices along the edges and creating some unevenness with the move tool.

Return to posts index

DoohniborRe: Breaking Up Sharp Edges
by on Sep 27, 2007 at 2:11:45 pm

you 're right, i am not looking for textures.

there are acutally several ways to roughen up teh geometry manually.

but i am still looking for an automation or a plugin which takes care of this task ; )

thanks alot for your answer.

Return to posts index

TwitchmonkeyRe: Breaking Up Sharp Edges
by on Sep 27, 2007 at 7:15:32 pm

Right, I was just looking at what would give you the most control and speed. I suppose that may not be good enough for a large amount of concrete work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]