3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Rendering as an alpha channel.

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SaggieRendering as an alpha channel.
by on Sep 6, 2007 at 6:43:29 pm

Hi, I am currently working on a logo for a television commercial. I would like to render the animated logo as an alpha channel so I can import it into Final Cut Pro and composit the logo onto an existing video without losing any of the quality. I tried using a green environment. I tried using a map in the environment instead of a color. I am running out of ideas. I really could use some help.

Everything I do now is for my daughter's future.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Rendering as an alpha channel.
by on Sep 6, 2007 at 7:28:32 pm

Assuming that FCP can import a Quicktime file with an alpha, simply render your logo with the following settings:

Quicktime, Animation, Millions of Colors+.

The plus sign in the Millions of Colors setting is the extra 8 bits that contain the alpha channel. FCP should take the file in and process the alpha channel with no problems.

Another way to do it is to output your files as numbered Targa or Tiff files with alpha channel. I just find it easier to output one Quicktime file that I know has the alpha embedded. You will find the file size to be rather large.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

DoohniborRe: Rendering as an alpha channel.
by on Sep 21, 2007 at 5:28:27 pm

Render as 24 bit .png image sequence. you can then directly import this sequence into your compositing package.
in addition if you need some transparen shadows use a Matte/Shadow material on the object which should receive the shadow. the object will not be rendered. only the shadow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved