3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Importing multiple objects

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
video fx universeImporting multiple objects
by on Aug 21, 2007 at 4:38:11 pm

Thanks to the person who replied to my last post, I got it sorted out and it worked fine. However, i do find a slight problem when i import multiple objects into the scene. first off i import a frigate space ship, get the camera aligned up fine, then when i import an x wing, the whole scene completely changes and i then have to spend ages re aligning everything to the way i like it, and it also seems to knock all the lighting out the way making it look dull. is there a way to import multiple objects without screwing up the camera set up? for instance, have the new object appear right in front of my first object so its ready to go?

Return to posts index

samuel01Re: Importing multiple objects
by on Aug 22, 2007 at 12:02:38 pm

you're welcome.

As I have not your workspace on my screen, it's hard to figure out what is the problem.

some remarks :
(I assume you import a ".3ds" in a ".max" file)
Import different meshes often create a scale problem, as these different meshes are build by different person, working whith various scale probably different from the one you use ; and there is no international standard scale !!!

to avoid this, I may suggest you to change your workflow :
- create a workspace with the same setup (scale, camera, light, ..) of your final workspace.
- import one spaceship and work around (light, scale, mapping, ..) until it match your need ;
- save the work ;
- redo this for all of your spaceship (one workspace for one spaceship) ;
- open your final workfile, and "merge" (File/Merge) your spaceship one by one, from the all the workfile you create before.

This way you solve the different problem on separate files, and there is less risk to destroy the setup of your final stage

Hope this help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved