3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3D Max on Mac Pro (Intel base)

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walkingduck3D Max on Mac Pro (Intel base)
by on Jul 29, 2007 at 12:13:32 am

Is anyone running 3D Max on new Mac Pro (Intel Base) with either Windows XP or Vista, especially 64 bit version?

I'm really close to getting a Mac pro now and the specs that I'm thinking is

Two 2.66GHz Intel Xeon (Dual core)
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512mb
4 G Ram

What do you think? would that perform a decent job running the Max?
I'd like to hear more about running 3D Max on Mac and of course, now you can install Windows on Mac.

Return to posts index

ElementalRe: 3D Max on Mac Pro (Intel base)
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 11:32:29 am

Hi walkingduck,

There could be issues, so check out the many forums which address this topic by 'Googling' your question.

A good place to start might be the autodesk forum:

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: 3D Max on Mac Pro (Intel base)
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 12:16:45 pm

Installing a copy of Windows through Bootcamp is the hard part...and it's not that hard. Apple.com has thorough instructions, which include burning a disk with the Mac drivers to install into the Win side of your boot. Once you've done that, you can boot as Windows, sort of like choosing a user in a multiple-user set-up on Mac.

From there, you're in Windows for all practical purposes. You won't see the Mac UI at all. Your performance will be dandy, very near the speeds you'd see on a native Windows machine.

I just searched on "bootcamp 3d studio max." A pretty primitive search, but turned up a bunch of results. Quite a few folks doing it, and indeed a few of them had installation issues that they fixed, so worth looking before you leap.

BTW, you *might* find them at autodesk's website, but my super
-brief, super-primitive search engine glance showed that the answers tended to be in Mac forums.

An interesting variation for folks who are less fond of Windows but need to run the app is using either Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. Both are $80, and allow Windows and any applications there *inside* the Mac OS. You can even hide the Windows desktop so it LOOKS like you're using 3dsm or other windows apps EXACTLY as Mac applications -- app parked in the Mac OS dock, drag and drop between the two OSes and more.

Fusion has multiprocessor support today, so you'd be good to go with that. It's slow to develop though, so the features you have there are the features you've got. Parallels is beta testing multiprocessor support and other features, and they develop *fast.* Both have free trials, so worth taking a look. They also coexist, so you won't get in trouble while testing them.

They also work nicely with Bootcamp. You'd use that for when you wanted an all-Windows machine, and either of the other apps when you wanted to be working in Mac and Win at the same time.

There are lots of variations on how they can work together, but the bottom line is that you can do it. Poke around for the rest of the details.

Return to posts index

muhammad rehan3D Max on Mac Pro (Intel base)
by on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:28:51 pm

hi very 1

i have mac pro new 1 i have windows xp service pack 3 in it how i can instal 3d max in it i did its dosent work pls help me in it if some body knows about how its works i spend lot of money on it pls thanks

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved